Health Concerns Associated with DIY Projects:
The safety of the occupants and the workers should always be the primary concern when mould is discovered in an area. Even seemingly small areas of visible mould can impact the indoor air quality of the surrounding area.
- Mould toxicity cannot be determined by colour or growth pattern alone; therefore it is important to treat all unknown mould with caution.
- Mould that has dried out can impact the air quality in a building
- Some moulds produce known carcinogens that are given off via off-gassing or inhalation of spores.Two examples are:
- Satratoxin H produced by Stachybotrys Chartarum (atra)
- Alflatoxin produced by Aspergillus Flavus
- Mycotoxins present will vary depending on the mould species, the strain of species, and the nutrients present for growth
With exposure to mould, the symptoms may vary between no noticeable symptoms to hospitalization depending on the individual.
- Common minor symptoms include:
- Respiratory issues
- Sinus issues
- More serious problems may include:
- Onset/aggravation of Asthma
- Pulmonary haemorrhage
Personal safety equipment should be used for every mould clean-up or removal job, no matter how small. Half-face or full face masks [with organic vapour cartridges] eye protection, gloves and disposable painter’s suits are highly recommended.