slideshow

Facts about Mould and Safety Tips

The Dangers of Mould In Your Home

US spelling – Mold

  • Mould produces allergens, toxins (mycotoxins), and/or irritants.
  • Mould is a major source of indoor allergens.
  • Mould can also trigger asthma and increase the frequency and severity of asthma attacks.
  • The mould spores may be toxic by inhalation
  • Dead mould is still allergenic, and some dead moulds are potentially toxic.
  • Dead mould may still cause allergic reactions, so it is not enough to simply kill the mould, it must also be removed.
  • Some moulds are capable of producing carcinogens (e.g. aflatoxin produced by Aspergillus flavus)
  • It is necessary to remove all of the mould contamination, including the microscopic spores in the air.
  • Physically disturbing the mould will cause the spores to spread.

Problems cause by Mould Amplification:

  • Mould causes odour problems, discolouration, staining and cosmetic damage
  • Mould growth can eventually cause structural damage to a building
  • The longer it grows the more damage it will cause

Do -It- Yourself Mould Removal – USE CAUTION:

Investigating and testing for hidden mould problems may be dangerous.

  • We recommend individuals untrained in bio-containment abatement procedures do not attempt to perform remediation on moulds with an aggregate area of contamination of 10 square feet or more. (regardless of the type), or on those moulds, (regardless of area), which are considered to be toxic or pathogens.
  • Mould may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, paneling or under carpet padding or behind baseboards and heaters
  • Removal of wallpaper, for example, can lead to a massive release of spores from mould growing on the underside of the paper
  • Discard mouldy items that can’t be cleaned or treated
  • Don’t forget to address the source of the moisture problem, or the mould problem may simply reappear in as little as 24 to 48 hours
  • If the water and/or mould damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call in a professional
  • Use of commercially available products:
  • The use of a chlorine bleach, for mould remediation is not recommended.
  • Biocides are toxic to humans and pets, as well as to mould; follow the instructions.
  • Do not use fungicides developed for use outdoors for mould remediation or for any other indoor situation.
  • Spraying the mould with a chemical will not solve the problem, even dead mould can pose problems, all of the mould must be physically removed.

Eco-Impact and Mould Experts- we offer full microbial remediation services for large and small mould clean-ups. Guaranteed.
Commercial and residential – large and small projects. Mould inspection, mould testing and mould remediation projects.